Whenever you take your motorcycle out, you might want to bring along a friend. Even though passengers are routine fixtures on motorcycles, their presence causes risks.
Generally, motorcycle insurance is a valuable asset for both riders and passengers. Riders should invest in the right coverage to protect both them and their guests. They should also encourage passengers to protect their own safety.
Motorcycle Insurance for Passengers
If you take a passenger on a ride, they should have coverage under your motorcycle insurance. Most policies extend coverage to passengers. However, to get the right coverage you still need to pay attention to your passengers’ needs.
- Consider the ways you might transport a passenger. If a passenger rides on the bike with you, coverage should extend to the guest. If you use a sidecar on your bike, ensure that your coverage extends to this attachment. You might have to indicate to your insurer that you have a sidecar on your bike to get coverage.
- Buy more than the minimum required insurance levels. Minimum levels often don’t fully cover the risks faced by both bikers and passengers. Extend a higher dollar amount of coverage to both yourself and passengers.
- Bike insurance policies usually come with a degree of bodily injury coverage. Bodily injury or medical payments coverage can help you meet the needs of both you and your passengers should you sustain injuries in a motorcycle wreck.
- Some insurance policies allow you to add guest passenger liability coverage. If another driver causes an accident involving your bike, you might be able to use this coverage. It could help you cover injuries you or your passengers sustain.
Make sure your policy takes your passenger risks into account. However, even with insurance, you can do more on your own time to protect passengers.
Protecting Passengers on Your Bike
Most bikers know that their bike poses increased risks of wrecks or injuries. While you have to concentrate on operating safely, you also have to see to the safety of your passengers.
- Provide your passengers with all required safety equipment. This might include pads, helmets and protective goggles. Sometimes passengers can buy safety belts to better help them sit safely on the bike.
- Instruct your passengers on the proper ways to sit, grip and balance on the bike.
- By familiarizing your passengers with bike safety, you can help keep them safer on the road. With proper care, you can hit the road knowing your passengers have the protection.
We’ve got you covered. Amco Remco Insurance can help you get a San Antonio motorcycle insurance policy that meets your needs. Call us at (800) 282-2000 for more information.