Call Us CALL US TODAY | (800) 282-2000

Couple on Wedding Day

If you're planning to get married, congratulations! You're taking a big, life-changing step.

That said, you're going to have to take care of quite a few legal hurdles to make it official.

Marriage often changes your residency status. Instead of living as a single person, you will now live with your spouse. If you rent your home, you're likely going to have to notify your landlord that someone else will be moving in. Taking proper steps to move your spouse into the home might save you a lot of problems down the road.

Lease Requirements to Move a Spouse into Your Rental

Always remember that when you rent a home, you are living in someone else's owned space. Moving a new spouse into that home means you're technically inviting a new resident into someone else's space. That new resident will bring risks and liabilities with them.

Most landlords will require their tenants to notify them of an impending marriage. Knowing about a new person in the house can help the landlord better protect their liabilities and yours.

In most cases, landlords cannot evict a resident because that person gets married. However, exceptions do exist. For example, if the new spouse will break the lease's occupancy limit, then the landlord might be able to evict you as a tenant. Also, landlords might be able to raise a tenant's rent if a new spouse moves into the home. By notifying your landlord in advance of a marriage, you can take care of any needed clerical tasks before they pose problems.

Insurance Requirements of Marriage

Tenants usually carry renters insurance regardless whether they're married or not. Yet, impending nuptials should give the tenant pause to review their existing coverage. Renters insurance usually contains two elements of coverage:

  • Liability insurance can protect the renter in the event their actions cause injury or property damage to others.
  • Possessions coverage covers personal belongings in the possession of the renter. It can help you repair or replace items damaged by covered household incidents.

When your new spouse moves in, you will likely see an increase in liability risks and in the value of your property. Therefore, you should review your renters insurance. Consider increasing your renters insurance as needed.

Talk to an Amco & Remco Insurance agent to see how much you might need to change your coverage. Our agents can provide advice in helping you change your coverage.

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016

View Mobile Version
Auto Insurance AUTO
Home Insurance HOME
Business Insurance BUSINESS
Renters Insurance RENTERS
Watercraft Insurance WATERCRAFT
Motorcycle Insurance MOTORCYCLE
Classic Cars Insurance CLASSIC CARS
SR22 Insurance SR22
24Hr Roadside 24HR ROADSIDE
© Copyright 2018. All rights reserved. Rahim Peerbhai - Amco and Remco Insurance Companies