How do you heat your business? Do you use a boiler or furnace? These are often affordable, convenient ways to supply heat and energy to your business.
However, furnaces and boilers are very sensitive equipment. They can break down and cause an inconvenience to your business and employees. If they break down, the damages can often be expensive to fix.
Not only can a broken system be inconvenient, a damaged system can be a horrible risk to your business. Boiler explosions or furnace fires can cause massive damage to the rest of your business.
Most business insurance policies can cover repairs for malfunctioning equipment. They might even cover damages from explosions or fires. But, you must be responsible for the upkeep of this equipment to prevent these problems.
If you don’t maintain equipment, and an accident or breakdown happens, your insurance company may not honor your claim. Here are some common ways to maintain your boilers and furnaces.
- Clean your floor vents. Even though these vents may be far from the system, debris can accumulate and infiltrate the rest of the system.
- Run your equipment periodically. Turn on your boiler or furnace every so often during months when you aren’t heavily using them. This prevents the systems from corroding from lack of use.
- In periods of cold weather, keep the pipes from freezing. You can sometimes insulate the pipes in safe ways by wrapping them. However, don't insulate areas that could pose risks of fires. These systems need proper ventilation. You can also keep the pipes exposed to general warmth, but not excess heat.
- Make sure the systems are not clogged with ash or other debris. This can raise the risk of fire.
- Have your systems serviced annually. It is often a good idea to have services done before your start periods of heavy use.
- Check fans, blowers and other pipes to make sure that they are not damaged. Small damages can impact an entire system.
By maintaining your boilers and furnaces, you can create a safe and efficient business environment. When breakdowns do occur, you can know that you did everything you could to prevent them.
Amco & Remco Insurance is here to help you understand how your El Paso business insurance policy covers equipment breakdowns. Explore our website to learn more about our plan options. If you have additional questions, call us today at (800) 282-2000.